About travel roll
About Rolls – Definition
Travel rolls are rolled up travelogues (travel diary) with daily life drawings from Cambodia. Unrolled and framed to exhibit their beauty, or kept rolled up to preserve the memory, they are a beautiful piece of artwork illustrating Khmer culture. All rolls are 100% made in Cambodia. They make excellent gifts or souvenirs and capture the beauty of the country. Travel rolls are 15 cm x 150 cm.
About Rolls – Technique
Technically, I work in pencil and watercolor on a roll of 300 gr paper. I aim to complete most of the work on site, conditions permitting. I scan all travel diary rolls to select only few drawings for further editing. I then utilise computer programs before reproducing on canvas or paper. The working technique is similar to comic book work.
About Travel Roll – Project
My final project is to compile all my travelogues (travel diary) in a giant travel roll (including all edited and unedited works), in the style of a scroll, of a torah or like the book “On the road”, original roll from Jack Kerouac. Using my ethnographic approach to documenting, it brings a fresh view to Khmer culture and life in Cambodia, a kind of research laboratory for an in-depth journey. I will also insert anecdotes and diary quotations alongside my drawings to give a full impression about what was happening at the time of creation. With the travel diairy roll, I want the viewer to feel like they were in Cambodia with me witnessing the same scene. It will be translate in 3 languages (English, French and Khmer) to been available in larger scales like for children in Khmer schools throughout Cambodia.
About Rolls – Publications
1. Jan.16 : Lim. Ed. 1 - Cambodia history - 500 copy SOLD OUT
2. Mar.16 : Lim. Ed. 2 - The Cambodia countryside - 250 copy SOLD OUT
3. May.16 : Lim. Ed. 3 - Koh Rong island - 250 copy SOLD OUT
4. Oct.16 : Lim. Ed. - Cambodia canvas map - 1000 copy
5. Nov.16 : Cambodia paper map
6. Dec.16 : Vol. 1 - Angkor archeological park
7. Feb.18 : Vol. 2 - East Part of Cambodia
8. Mar.18 : Spécial Ed. - Chhlong
9. Nov.18 : Limited Ed. IFC - Culture In Cambodia - 800 copy